The New Bedford Housing Authority takes applications for public housing and leased housing every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. at our Central Office located at 134 So. Second Street in the Boa Vista Towers.
Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals.The NBHA ensures that every applicant for its public housing programs meets specific eligibility criteria. To be eligible for the public housing programs administered by the NBHA, the applicant must meet the minimum criteria.
All eligible applicants must:
- Qualify either as an elder, a person with a disability, or as a family unit.
- Have at least one household member that is either a citizen of the United States or has eligible immigration status.
- Have an income level at, or below, the income limits set for the applicable housing program.
Public housing applicants are also screened for suitability of tenancy. NBHA looks at the past performance in public or private housing including:
- Rental payment history
- Damages to any rental property
- Disturbances of neighbors
- Criminal activity, e.g. including drug-related activity
- Housekeeping habits which could adversely effect the health, safety. and welfare of other residents
Leased housing applicants are screened for income eligibility and criminal activity. Since leased housing applicants will become tenants of the landlord, it is the landlord’s responsibility to further screen applicants who wish to rent the landlord’s property.
In all cases applicants will be treated equally without regard to color, race, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, physical handicap or disability.